Friday, January 6, 2012

Autobiography

I've been reading since before I can remember, but not seriously until I was in 3rd grade. At my elementary school there was a point based reading program, called Accelerated Reading, that gave you rewards if you earned a certain amount of points. The bigger and more complex books you read, the more points you got. While most kids were reading fifty page abridged versions of popular novels, a small group in my school began reading larger books to get more points. I read the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and several of the Chronicles of Narnia, which put me in first place. This experience created several habits which I continued until very recently. First, starting in 3rd grade and continuing through 7th grade, I read every night until I fell asleep, this allowed me to read a large volume of literature because as time went on and my endurance got better. I could read from 9pm to 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning. The next thing that the Accelerated Reading program instilled in me was the hunger for knowledge. I learned a lot from the books I read, but as I exhausted all of the bookshelves in my house, I had to find another way to read. My solution was the Internet. Much of my reading on the Internet has consisted of tech blogs and finance sites like Investopedia.com. These sites have shaped my interests to include Science-Fiction. I have always liked Sci-Fi, but until recently, I hadn't realized its importance. Sci-Fi authors are modern day prophets, every day more things imagined by people like Clarke and Bradbury become reality thanks to Silicon Valley and Moores law. In addition to being a good place to look for the future of man kind, Sci-Fi tells us a lot about the present. By moving social and political issues to a different time and place, Sci-Fi gives us a different perspective on the problems that effect us and removes our preconceived notions. 

1 comments :

A Summer's Field said...

I remember AR, it was a great program to introduce elementary students to reading. Sci-Fi is pretty neat :)

Post a Comment